Thursday, January 31, 2008

Define: a Performing Squidoo Lens



When I built my first website (which took months), admittedly it wasn't optimized because I knew little or nothing about SEO. It sounds almost ridiculous to say it now, but at the time SEO was the least of my worries. It was a good looking site, and I got many compliments on that. It said what I wanted it to say, and it had loads of original content.

Once I was satisfied that I had gotten my website 'to a point' I submitted it to DMOZ, so it would be in a directory somewhere on the internet, and perhaps I'd start getting traffic.

I was a laughing-stock among my competitors (unsolicited advice, of course) and of those who knew all about the optimization field. They found it laughable that I had the nerve to submit my site to DMOZ: they had all been doing so for YEARS and never got listed. They were totally sure I'd be bounced because of my incompetence. They'd spent loads of money on all kinds of internet-marketing guru stuff. They were listed in all the 'hot' places. They MADE SURE I knew what an idiot I was.

DMOZ listed my site IMMEDIATELY. There was no delay, no waiting months and months to hear anything. I submitted one day, and shortly thereafter, I was listed- alone among many well-established and wealthy competitors.

Therefore, for my critics, the truth HAD TO BE that I had an angel, that I knew someone and THEY were well connected and got my site listed there. Let me say it here, if I DID have an angel helping me, thank you Mr. Angel and only you know who you are.

Did being listed in DMOZ define success for my site? Not for me, but it did for others, much to their annoyance.

Just like this little story, the definition of a successful PERFORMING Squidoo lens could be many different things, depending on the mindset of the lensmaster.

I'd like to know what YOU define as a performing lens. You can leave it as a comment, or you can email me with your details. I'll blog the results when I have some interesting and helpful ones.

No comments: